Sunday, August 8, 2010

Library Conservation and Preservation Bibliography, Part 2


•I created this bibliography on the topic of Library Conservation and Preservation using Google Scholar.


- Baker, Soroka. Library conservation: Preservation in perspective (The Information sciences). New york: Distributed By Academic Press, 1978. Print.

Times Cited: 6


- Beagrie, Neil, and Maggie Jones. Preservation Management of Digital Materials: A Handbook. London: The British Library, 2001. Print.

Times Cited: 57


- Chapman, Patricia. Guidelines on preservation and conservation policies in the archives and libraries heritage (PGI-90/WS/7). geneva: Unesco, 1990. Print.

Times Cited: 11


- Cunha, Dorothy G., and George M. Cunha. Conservation of Library Materials: A Manual and Bibliography on the Care, Repair, and Restoration of Library Materials (Volume I). 2nd ed. Metuchen, N.J.: Scarecrow Press, 1971. Print.

Times cited: 37


- Darling, Pamela W., Jan Merrill-Oldham, Jutta Reed-Scott, and Duane E. Webster. Preservation Planning Program, an Assisted Self-Study Manual for Libraries (Preservation Planning Program). Revised ed. Washington: Association of Research Libraries, 1993. Print.

Times Cited: 17


- Dureau, J. M. Principles for the preservation and conservation of library materials (IFLA professional reports). The Hague : Ifla Headquarters, 1986. Print.

Times Cited: 15


- Eden, Paul, John Feather, and Graham Matthews. Preservation Management: Policies and Practices in British Libraries. Aldershot: Gower Publishing Company, 1996. Print.

Times Cited: 14


- Feather, John. Preservation and the Management of Library Collections. 2 ed. London: Library Association Publishing (Uk), 1996. Print.

Times Cited: 25


- Handbook for Digital Projects: A Management Tool for Preservation and Access. Andover, MA: Northeast Document, 2000. Print.

Times Cited: 43


- Higginbotham, Barbara Buckner. Our Past Preserved: A History of American Library Preservation, 1876-1910. New York: Diane Pub Co, 1990. Print.

Times Cited: 9


- Eden, Paul, John Feather, and Graham Matthews. Preservation Management: Policies and Practices in British Libraries. Aldershot: Gower Publishing Company, 1996. Print.

Times Cited: 25


- Kenney, Anne R., and Oya Y. Rieger. Moving Theory into Practice: Digital Imaging for Libraries and Archives. 1 ed. Washington: Research Libraries Group, 2000. Print.

Times Cited: 34


- Morrow, Carolyn Clark. A conservation bibliography for librarians, archivists, and administrators. Troy, NY: Whitston Pub. Co, 1979. Print.

Times Cited: 7


- Porck, Henk J. Preservation science survey: An overview of recent developments in research on the conservation of selected Analog library and archival materials. --: Council on Library and Information Resources, 2000. Print.

Times Cited: 16


- Preservation of Library & Archival Materials: A Manual. 3 ed. Andover, MA: Northeast Document, 1996. Print.

Times Cited: 22


- Ratcliffe, F. W. Preservation policies and conservation in British libraries: Report of the Cambridge University Library Conservation Project (Library and information research report). London: Distributed By Publications Section, British Library Lending Division, 1984. Print.

Times Cited: 25


- Rothenberg, Jeff. Avoiding Technological Quicksand: Finding a Viable Technical Foundation for Digital Preservation: A Report to the Council on Library and Information R. Washington D.C.: Council On Library & Information Resources, 1999. Print.

Times Cited: 218


- Swartzburg, Susan G. Preserving Library Materials: A Manual. Toronto: Scarecrow Pr, 1980. Print.

Times Cited: 47



Using the same topic, I created a bibliography using two different sources: OhioLINK's online database and Google Scholar. The following is my critical analysis of the two services.


OhioLINK

This was my first time using Kent State's online library service, and I have to say that there was definitely a learning curve. It took me a while to figure out the system and the best ways to navigate through the site. Once I decided what topic I wanted to research, I jumped right in and began looking.


Unfortunately, I had a very difficult time locating articles in both the Library Literature and Information Science Full Text Database and the Social Sciences Citation Index. Often I would find a relevant article in the database, but then not be able to find in the index. I actually used Knowitnow.org again to see if I could get any help on finding articles, but that inquiry provided not much help. I resolved this by expanding my search and reducing my number of keywords. I was able to locate more articles, but had difficulty finding articles with enough citations. Eventually after a lot of searching back and forth, I was able to create this bibliography. An upside of this database is the ability to personalize it to the user, even though it is only offered to students. I also appreciated the ability to download citations and email and share sources. It is a useful tool that I would use again.


My opinion on OhioLINK and Kent State's database system is still very high, but the system is a little difficult to learn and navigate. Perhaps with a broader topic I would have been able to find more information, but my topic returned very few relevant results.


Google Scholar

I had much more success using Google Scholar. My search included the term "Library Conservation and Preservation" and returned lots of results that I was looking for. The site also easily displayed how many times the article was sited. I found my list of sources much quicker and felt that the articles were more substantial. This was my first time using Google Scholar as well, and I found the site extremely useful and accurate. Unfortunately though, I did later realize that I didn't have access to all of the articles and had to either pay or subscribe to view the complete source. This is definitely a downside to Google, but will still be useful when I no longer have access to the Kent State databases.


Conclusion

I think that if Kent State's Library Literature and Information Science Full Text Database and the Social Sciences Citation Index could combine forces, they might make a more effective system. It was very time consuming and tedious and if the number of times an article was cited was listed in both places, it would make things go a lot faster. I also found that the Google Scholar articles were cited a lot more times than in the database. This could be because Google has a larger pool to pull from, but it was nice to know the articles were so well known.


No comments:

Post a Comment