Saturday, July 31, 2010

The World of Flickr

A Spot of Rouge

The color red inspired my gallery because it is one of my favorite colors and a universal color that represents warmth and love. The color really resonates in photographs and expresses so much meaning in a single snapshot of time.


A Spot of Rouge consists of photos all featuring the color red in some way, shape, or form.


I used Flickr to search, find and select the photos for this gallery. I explored previously designed galleries to get inspiration and ideas from users I liked, and I checked out different groups and users' galleries to find certain photos.


It was amazing to find so many photos representing this color in such beautiful ways. There were several groups specifically built on the color, and even one called rot-rosso-rouge-rood. I have a very specific taste when it comes tophotography, so I spent a while searching for the perfect images to be included.


I was particularly looking for photos that used red to represent a feeling or emotion. I wanted photos with a vintage or retro feel so I could portray a reflection of what I like in the gallery.


My search was most successful when I used searches containing two key words, such as "vintage red" or "artsy red;"otherwise the search was too expansive and didn't really provide what I wanted. I also was a little disappointed Flickr's gallery could only include 18 photos. It could have been more telling if a couple more could have been included. I also found it difficult to search for photos with a specific feeling. With such a large number of photos to browse through, it was hard to narrow it down as much as I wanted.


I also would have preferred if Flickr made it easier to go back and forth between photos. It became tiresome to click forward and backward to choose photos for my gallery. On the upside though, every time I clicked on a photo I was led to something else. This helped me find particular users' photos that I really enjoyed, and made my search more interesting. Flickr is a good representation of how Bates' Berrypicking Model works in a digital world. Each new search led me to new photos, users, and galleries, and each new click took me on a different path. Overall, the third order of Flickr's organization was successful in delivering what I was looking for. It just took a lot of searching on my end to find the right photographs.


Flickr is a wonderful source for online photography sharing and archiving. There are so many images to browse and the ability for tagging makes photos easily searchable.


The following are the terms I searched for:

  • the color red
  • red
  • rouge
  • a world of red
  • red in photos
  • photos featuring red
  • artsy red
  • retro red
  • vintage red
  • red art
  • animals and red


You can view my gallery here.


(all photos from Flickr)


No comments:

Post a Comment